Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Munmun Dutta quit Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah post casteist slur controversy

Views: 1012  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 07-23-2021, 12:43 PM

Default Munmun Dutta quit Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah post casteist slur controversy

Munmun Dutta goes missing from Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah post casteist slur controversy; has the actress quit the sitcom?

Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah's Babita Ji aka Munmun Dutta has been missing from the sitcom for over a month now. On the show, she has been shown to have left for Kolkata and gets a mention frequently by Jethalal aka Dilip Joshi as he misses her sorely.

Her being absent from the show has led to speculations of her quitting the sitcom.

Munmun has not reported on set after she was slammed by several viewers of her YouTube channel for using the word 'bhangi' in a derogatory way in May.

The actress had issued an apology the very next day, wherein she shared that she has been 'misinterpreted' and the word was not 'said with the intent to insult, intimidate, humiliate or hurt anyone's feelings'. She also mentioned she was 'misinformed about the meaning of the word'.

Despite this, an FIR was filed against her within a few days by a Dalit activist.

The sitcom was earlier being shot in Gujarat while Maharashtra was in lockdown but now that things are back to normalcy, the shoot has begun in Mumbai.

Another actress who went missing from the outdoor shoot was Jennifer Mistry Bansiwal. There were rumours that the actress is pregnant and has quit the show but she clarified this was untrue.

She told ETimes TV, "I have been getting too many messages since last night if I have quit Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah. Some are even asking if I am pregnant. The truth is far from otherwise. I have just not been well, of late."

She added, "I had a lot of pain in the heel, which made my walk discomforting. I was on very strong medicines but the problem did not subside soon."

The actress has, however, resumed work now and all seems to be well.

TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 09-12-2021, 07:58 AM

Reports of Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah co-stars Munmun Dutta and Raj Anadkat dating have grabbed eyeballs. ETimes TV broke the news to you and there have been many times when Munmun made headlines. The actress, who plays the role of Babita ji in Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah, since its inception, has always stayed in news owing to her popularity. Take a look:

Dating co-star Raj Anadkat

ETimes TV has it that Munmun and Raj are head over heels in love. Each and every member of Team 'Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah' is aware of what's going on between the two. "Their respective families too are not in the dark," shared a source in the know. Raj is 24 years old and Munmun is 9 years older than him.

Getting trolled on social media

Munmun and Raj keep commenting on each other's posts and they often get trolled on social media. Once Raj commented on Munmun’s post faced the wrath for replying with fire, awestruck and high-five emojis. While users wrote comments like, 'waah bhai aunty pata lee', both of them have been unaffected and didn’t pay any heed to them.

Making casteist comment on social media

Munmun Dutta was booked under SC and ST Act for using casteist slur in a social media video. The FIR was filed after a complaint by Rajat Kalsan, convenor of the National Alliance for Dalit Human Rights, on May 11. In the video, Munmun was getting ready and said that she wanted to look good and not like a "bhangi". Munmun shared that the word used by her has been 'misinterpreted' and was not 'said with the intent to insult, intimidate, humiliate or hurt anyone's feelings'. She also mentioned she was 'misinformed about the meaning of the word'. In the end, she wrote, "I sincerely would like to apologise to every single person who has been unintentionally hurt by the usage of the word." pic: Instagram

Rumours of her quitting Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah

There were rumours that Munmun Dutta had to quit the show after she was embroiled in a controversy for using the term 'bhangi' in her video. However, after 2-3 months, Munmun resumed the shoot as Babita Ji. In fact, in the wake of this controversy, the production house in question made each and every actor of the show sign an undertaking that he/she will not use any foul language or make a casteist/ religious remark that may hurt any sentiment.

When Munmun recounted memories of being a victim ***ual harassment

In 2017 when the #MeToo movement caught momentum in India, amongst many actresses who opened up about being a victim of ***ual harassment was Taarak Mehta Ka Ooltah Chashmah's Munmun Duttaa. In a long post on her social media account, Munmun had shared her experiences of facing ***ual assaults from her neighbour uncle, older cousin and teachers while she was growing-up. She openly spoke about being a victim of assault by teachers and men in public places. Munmun concluded the note by sharing how proud she is of herself and unlike her growing up years where she'd be scared. She wrote, "But TODAY I will rip apart any man who even remotely tries anything on me. I AM PROUD OF WHO I AM..."

When her name appeared as a contestant of Bigg Boss 14

There were rumours floating around that she is going to be a part of Bigg Boss 14, but she trashed all the reports by clarifying on her Instagram, "The news about me appearing in the next season of Bigg Boss is NOT true..I enjoy watching the show but NO I am not going inside the house. Don't believe in fake pages. Thank you."

When Munmun slammed netizens for bullying Ankita, Kriti and Rhea

Munmun Dutta shared a post where she expressed shock over people’s behaviour on social media post Sushant Singh Rajput’s demise last year. She was hurt to see how netizens had targeted the women who had been a part of Sushant’s lives. She wrote: I am more surprised ( or should I say not surprised) by our human behaviour on social media. The barrage of insensitive, hurtful, and vulgar comments Rhea Chakraborty, Kriti Sanon or Ankita Lokhande have received since yesterday shows how retarded our society is and how toxic people are on social media.”

When she suffered a panic attack and stopped her trek midway

Munmun Dutta is an avid traveller and one she was travelling across East Africa. The actress had been preparing for the trek for a long time. But shockingly, the actress had to be brought down from the mountains due to a panic attack. She had written in a post, “I had to be brought down from the mountain due to a severe claustrophobic and panic attack in the pitch darkness…”

Tags
Babita Ji, Dilip Joshi, jethalal, Munmun Dutta, taarak mehta ka ooltah chashmah

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->