Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Blood Cancer 10 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOW

Views: 920  
Old 09-19-2022, 12:31 PM

Default Blood Cancer 10 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOW

10 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOW:
  • 1. What is blood cancer?
    It is a heterogeneous broad term for cancers originating in the bone marrow and the lymphatic system. It includes 3 major categories–Leukemia – acute/ chronic, lymphomas- hodgkins / non hodgkins and multiple myeloma
  • 2. Can blood cancers be treated?
    Yes. They can not only be treated but they can be potentially cured in 50-80% of cases depending upon the age, stage, and subtype. Diagnosis of blood cancer is not a death sentence.
  • 3. Can blood cancers be prevented?
    No. We cannot prevent blood cancers but by creating awareness of the warning signs of blood cancer, we can help patients report early, Early treatment can improve outcomes.
  • 4. What are the symptoms and signs of blood cancer?
    Lymphoma and Leukemia can present with–lumps in the neck, armpit, or groin, persistent unexplained fever with unexplained weight loss, night sweats, swelling of face and neck, breathlessness, liver and spleen enlargement, gum swelling and bleeds. Myeloma can present with–anemia, bone pain (backache is classical), fracture on trivial trauma, unexplained kidney dysfunction, and recurrent infections.
  • 5. What causes blood cancer?
    The risk factors that are associated with exposure to radiation, chemotherapy, toxins like benzene, tanning products, and pesticides. Unknown acquired mutations in the DNA can result in blood cancers.
  • 6. Are blood cancers inherited?
    No. Blood cancers are acquired and not inherited. They are not contagious and do not spread from one member of the family to another.
  • 7. Can blood cancers occur at any age?
    Yes. Though they are more common in the elderly, no age is spared. 26% of all childhood cancers are blood cancers.
  • 8. How do we diagnose blood cancer?
    CBC (Complete blood counts) including peripheral smear, bone marrow studies, flowcytometry or immunophenotyping, chromosomal studies, molecular studies, excisional lymph node biopsy are some of the tests required to make a diagnosis.
  • 9. What is the role of FNAC of the lymph node in the diagnosis of lymphoma?
    FNAC has no role in making a diagnosis. Excisional Lymph node biopsy is essential for precise diagnosis.
  • 10. What is the staging of blood cancer?
    Acute Leukemia is not staged. It is divided into risk groups. Lymphoma is staged based on PET CT and bone marrow studies. Myeloma is a stage based on risk scores and kidney involvement.

Tags
10 QUESTIONS TO ASK YOUR DOCTOR NOW, Are blood cancers hereditary, Are blood cancers painful, Can cancer be diagnosed with blood test, Do doctors have emotional feelings for patients, Do doctors think about their patients, How are blood cancers diagnosed, How do I explain anxiety to my doctor, How do I impress a doctor, How do I interview my doctor, How do I prepare for a doctor visit, How do I prepare for a hematology appointment, How do I prepare for an oncology appointment, How do I talk to an oncologist, How do I talk to my doctor, How do I talk to my senior doctor, How do you call a doctor with respect, How do you get your doctor to like you, How do you greet a doctor, How do you make a doctor believe you are in pain, How do you spot medical Gaslighting, How do you talk so your doctor will listen, How does leukemia travel, How is leukemia formed, Is blood cancer curable, Is it serious to be referred to a hematologist, What are good questions to ask doctors, What are the 3 blood cancers, What are the 5 chronic diseases, What are the common questions in an initial interview, What are the symptoms of blood cancer in adults, What blood cells indicate cancer, What do you bring to a new doctor appointment, What is health in very short question, What is leukemia caused from, What is the daily routine of a doctor, What kind of questions should be asked early in a patient interview, What part of the body does leukemia affect, What questions should I ask about health, What questions should I ask about leukemia, What questions should I ask my hematologist, What questions should I ask my medical oncologist, What questions should I ask my oncologist before chemo, What questions should I ask my oncologist on my first visit, What questions should I ask when diagnosed with cancer, What should I ask at my annual physical, What should I talk to my doctor about, What should you not do before a doctor's appointment, Who do most doctors marry, Who gets leukemia the most, Who is most at risk for leukemia

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum