Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

Tailored Email Content is King

Views: 1119  
Old 12-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Award Winner

Default Tailored Email Content is King

We’ve all heard it: content is king. Websites that rank well in search engines have good keyword-rich content. People return to online sources because of content. Content makes the Web world go round.

So do you apply the same rules to your email campaigns? And how do you know if people are considering your content relevant?

As an email marketer, I get that content is important, but really the subject line is the hook. If people aren’t interested in the subject line, they won’t see the amazing content I’ve written. And then there is that fine line of a snazzy headline that a SPAM filter just doesn’t like and now I’m stuck! My snazzy headline and witty content didn’t even make it to the inbox. So what am I to do?

I attended the MarketingSherpa Email Summit in Chicago a few weeks ago. There was a panel discussion on email deliverability, something that is of great concern to the email marketing industry. What caught my attention was a comment about relevancy.

With email delivery monitoring services, either as a separate entity or part of a package with an Email Service Provider, emphasis is moving away from fighting SPAM to delivering quality emails. In other words, irrelevance is the new SPAM, snazzy subject line or no snazzy subject line.

This little nugget of information reminded me of Latent Semantic Indexing rules, or LSI rules, and how such rules are moving towards email. SPAM filters are getting more sophisticated as spammers get better at using email marketing industry tactics, like subject lines that cause action by the recipient.

Subject lines are the first place email campaigns often get caught in SPAM filters, and they are the most challenging part of email deliverability. However, as spammers learn how manipulate the subject line to get you to open that email about a stock that can make you millions, the content of the email itself takes center stage. The next step for the email marketing industry is filtering out irrelevant content.

Now, don’t panic. There are ways to learn whether or not you’re delivering relevant content to your readers. Basic email marketing rules still apply, such as opt-in, double opt-in, Internet

Service Provider relationship management and good delivery and email monitoring statistics. All are necessary for any solid email campaign. Opt-ins, email monitoring and the like will tell you if you’re emails are getting through to your readers.

The most useful information, however, will be the actions of your readers. If your readers are opening and clicking-through to the landing pages associated with your email, then you know that you are providing good, relevant content. Do not be mislead by

low unsubscribe or open rates, however. Most email recipients use the preview pane, which does not always translate into an open. Many do not bother to unsubscribe and simply just delete your email.

Old 12-13-2009, 09:33 AM
Award Winner

To help combat this and further test the relevance of your email content to your readers, look at your delivery statistics, find those email addresses who have not opened within a given period of time and send them a personalized email. Personalization

should go beyond just a name. Incorporate any information you know from your delivery statistics, like the destination of the last link they clicked, or the last email they opened. Also give them the option to unsubscribe or opt-in again.

As you start accumulating readers who are interested and pay attention to your email statistics, you can start to tailor your content to keep it relevant. For example, if you find that a certain percentage of readers always click on links related to a particular product or subject, you can send them emails that only pertain to that particular product or subject.

The more your tailor your message, the more relevant your content will be the better your email campaign will perform.

Latest News in General Discussion