Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Film Entertainment Forum

'Aamir never wanted to be an actor'

Views: 2040  
Old 06-04-2009, 02:43 PM
bholus7

Default 'Aamir never wanted to be an actor'

It's been 20 years since Aamir Khan's Raakh released in theatres. Fresh after the release of his blockbuster hit Qayamat Se Qayamat Tak, audiences couldn't quite relate to Aamir's dark character in Raakh. The film didn't do well but it was lapped up by most critics.

Its director Aditya Bhattacharya was one of the youngest directors of his time at 23 years, and born in one of the great film families. His grandfather was legendary director Bimal Roy and father was another noted director Basu Bhattarcharya. But despite this, Aditya has directed only four films thus far.

He tells Patcy N about his journey from photo-journalism to acting, writing, direction and production. He also talks about Raakh -- all set to re-release on June 12 -- and why Aamir never wanted to be an actor.

You come from such an illustrious family but audiences barely know you. Tell us about yourself.

I never went to college. When you come from a family of filmmakers -- where everybody has broken the mould -- it becomes difficult to tell the eldest son of the family to complete his studies. I started earning at the age of 18. I acted in theatre and films like Mandi and Rihaee. I worked as a photo journalist as well.

Was acting an obvious step since you came from a filmi family?
Shyam babu [Benegal] saw me with Sanjana [Kapoor, Aditya's former wife] and insisted that I do Mandi. He felt I fit the role of Smita Patil's boyfriend in the film. A lot of people advised him against it since I hadn't acted before. But he believed in me. But I didn't see film as a career then.

Latest News in Film Entertainment Forum

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: