Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

TOP 10 Biggest TV Actresses Proved Age is just a Number

Views: 311  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 03-13-2021, 01:55 PM

Default TOP 10 Biggest TV Actresses Proved Age is just a Number

From playing strong characters to getting better screen time, these TV actresses have proved that age is just a number:

Who says that women over 40 can’t experiment and explore roles on the small screen? While we have often heard and seen that actresses over a certain age are often typecast in the role of a docile mother, dutiful elder daughter-in-law, or a nosy neighbour, the last few years have seen a change in terms of their on-screen roles. Apart from playing lead roles, actresses over 40 are even experimenting with layered character actor roles. From breaking the stereotypes to taking forward the show on their shoulders, these TV actresses talk about the factors responsible for this much-needed change.

Showmakers are now giving lead roles to actresses over 40: Rupali Ganguly

“Not just actresses over 40, but a few years back even actresses over 30 were often typecast in a mother’s role or as a typical character actor. Things have changed NOW as women over 40 are playing a titular role on almost every channel. I believe that a big part of the credit goes to the showmakers who are ready to take this risk. Although I portray the role of a mom in Anupamaa, my character has many layers and unlike the regular moms on TV, she has a voice of her own. I also feel that the pandemic has played a role for this sudden shift in the dynamics as we all got time to step back and think how we show female characters on screen.”

We have to evolve with time in terms of storytelling: Narayani Shastri

“A few years back, actresses over 40 were given meatier roles but they were few. An actress who started along with me cannot be doing the same kind of roles that we did back then. As actors, we have to mature and take up roles that challenge us. But the storylines written now are more interesting, engaging and are exploring many genres. Also, our target audience hasn’t changed much. So, this means that even if we are introducing stronger female characters, we have to keep our target audience in mind and dish out relatable stories to strike a chord with the viewers.”

You cannot fool the audience by giving the same-old content: Sucheeta Trivedi

“It’s high time that we quash the myth that an actress over 40, can’t do lead and author-backed roles or even challenging character actor roles. Now in many shows, we have a female artiste over 40 who’s either playing the titular role or a pivotal role. However, I do believe that this change is possible because now there are many options for the audience. We can’t fool them by serving them the same old stories. As artistes and showmakers, we have to make engaging content accompanied by strong performances. The change in the viewing pattern has seen a paradigm shift in the quality of TV content.”

Bollywood does have some influence on TV content: Deepshikha Nagpal

The actor who is currently seen in Ranju Ki Betiyaan, says, “I am extremely happy that the actors above 40 are getting such amazing roles and more importantly titular roles. I believe that the change in the TV content also has to do with Bollywood as they are experimenting with films like Badhaai Ho. This has changed the mindset of the audience and made them more receptive to mature content as well. Earlier, actresses who are moms in real life often used to hear that their career had come to a dead end. However, things have changed now as the audience has become more accepting. Now what matters is whether you fit into the character's requirements. The script is the hero and this has been possible because of parallel cinema and the change in the way we are telling stories.”

The audience wants to consume fresh and engaging content: Delnaaz Irani

“I believe this is just the beginning and we will see more female artistes over 40, taking the centre stage. While we were prepping to take this plunge, the big question was who would do it first. Thankfully there are a few producers and showmakers who have taken this huge, but very important step which is certainly going to encourage more showmakers to introduce relatable content. The audiences have played an important role in this shift. There’s a lot of competition and the only way to stay ahead in the game is by giving quality content. If that means women over 40 playing the titular role, then it’s perfectly fine. It’s high time that the showmakers tell different stories which strike a connect with the viewers.”

Character actors too are now getting meatier roles to portray on screen: Supriya Shukla

“With age, comes experience and that reflects when you portray certain layered and complicated characters. And as female artists above 40, we can handle it well. Now the protagonist and even a character actor is also given meatier roles rather than the usual one-dimensional role. The reason for this change is because we have more feisty women around us in their 40s’, who are ambitious and career-driven. What we see in society should reflect in our shows as that’s how we can keep things relatable. Also, these challenges are what keeps us actors on our toes.”

Tags
top 10, tv stars

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

-->