Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Genelia D’Souza to host a reality show

Views: 1820  
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 10-12-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Genelia D’Souza to host a reality show

Neelam, all of 19, hopes to be able to buy her mother a new sari. “In the nine years since my father died,” she says, with unshed tears

Genelia D’Souza More Pics
glistening in her eyes, “she has not bought herself anything new.”

Is it any wonder then, that despite her frail frame, she is a dynamo of determination, totally focused on winning the Rs 10 lakh prize money on the new reality show Big Switch on a channel meant for youngsters. The concept is indigenous and smart. Ten youngsters from impoverished families will partner 10 super-rich youngsters for 14 days, cut off from the world, and perform tasks. As the pair does everything together, it is expected that the exchange of ideas and attitudes will benefit both and give them insights into how the other half lives. There will be no outside voting, winners and losers will be chosen by the participants themselves. The pair that survives till the end, wins.

The very basic set shorn of all frills acts like a minimum common denominator. While the poor ten actually find their residence spacious, the super rich youngsters are still coming to terms with the deprivation. Sunny Sara, co-owner of two city nightspots, describes the day he participated in a joint bathing session (with shorts on) with a couple of the boys from the other side of the tracks. “As I offered them face wash, body wash, shampoo and conditioner, they were amazed that so many different types of soap could be used for one bath,” he says with a smile.

Sunny’s partner, Abhishek Kushwah, 22, lives in a Dharavi slum and dreams of becoming a chef. He has done a short baking course and confesses disarmingly that he had once baked a Black Forest cake which, though of indeterminate shape, was loved by his parents and friends. He is excited that when the show airs he will become a ‘hero’ in the eyes of his neighbours. “I have a lot in common with Sunny,” he says, “We both like travelling.” He seems unaware that while his travel may have been in the city, Sunny probably uses his passport each time he travels.

Neelam’s partner, Bindi Mehta, a freelance video editor, says she sees herself in Neelam. “She’s a survivor, very ambitious, very tough and totally focused.”

Genelia D’Souza hosts the show and though she is the only one who can dress and primp in an air-conditioned make-up van before she goes onto the sets, says she is humbled by the experience. “This is a reality check for me too,” says the Jaane Tu... girl, “Though I come from an upper middle class family, I am aware that every rupee I have is something I have earned, it is not a luxury and therefore I value and respect money. After seeing the participants, I am in awe of reality shows.”

As for being a star, she says, “I am attached to and detached from my stardom. I take a walk whenever I feel like, to Carter Road, or my church on Pali Hill or a mall. Most people just look, comment that I am Genelia and that’s that. It is only when you want attention that you get unwanted attention.”

What she takes home every shooting day is that everyone on the show will go to any extent to achieve their dream. And she identifies with that. “I am a pusher,” she says, “Challenges excite me.”

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->