Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Chicken Vindaloo (Indian Recipe)

Views: 4037  
Old 01-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Award Winner

Default Chicken Vindaloo (Indian Recipe)

Prep Time: 30 minutes or less | Cook Time: 1 - 2 hours | Serves: 4
Dinner » Chicken » Indian

Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Award Winner

Ingredients:

This is my recipe for vindaloo. Vindaloo is a dish from Goa, and is influenced by the Portuguese (who actually introduced the chili to Goa).

The name, vindaloo, is from the Portuguese for vinegar, vin, and from the Portuguese for garlic alho, we get aloo. This may be a bit of a shock to some UK members, who may have been told that the aloo is something to do with potatoes. Indeed potato is an ingredient of this dish if you were to buy it from most UK curry houses. However, the name and the original dish have nothing to do with potatoes!

It is worth pointing out that this recipe is actually best if you substitute pork tenderloin for chicken. The chicken version is still very, very yummy.

OK, enough with the preamble, on with the goods.

Ingredients:

Spices:
- Whole red chillies. Note: I am not telling you how many chillies to use. This is up to you, but the dish is best when very spicy, so we are using about 10-12 Kashmiri chillies
- 8 cloves
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 inches of cinnamon stick
- 6 green cardamom pods
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 4 tsp white poppy seeds

Other:
- 3 inches of ginger, chopped. Note: I cheated because we were out of ginger, and I am eternally sorry.
- 6 plump garlic cloves, more if you have small cloves
- 1 tbsp tamarind puree
- 2-3 tomatoesNote: Tomatoes are optional, and not an authentic Goan ingredient in this dish. Try it both ways
- a bunch of coriander. Note: This is optional and I suggest making the dish with and without to see what you like best.
- 3 large onions
- 1 lb chicken breast or pork tenderloin
- Jaggery (Jaggery is the traditional unrefined sugar used in India)
- cider vinegar
- salt and pepper

Last edited by bholus10; 01-23-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Award Winner

Step 1:

In a clean coffee grinder, grind the chillies and the rest of the spices (except the poppy seeds) to powder. Transfer the ground spices to a suitable receptacle.
Then (and only then) grind the poppy seeds. The poppy seeds will release oil when processed and that would otherwise gob up your spice mixture.

In the picture below you can see the ground chillies, ground spices and the ground poppy seeds (top left).
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Award Winner

Step 2:

Ok, now we need to puree the garlic and ginger
with some cider vinegar. Roughly chop the garlic and ginger and blend with about 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar until you have a smooth paste like the one below.
Old 01-23-2010, 12:11 PM
Award Winner

Step 3:

Mix the all the spices together with the garlic and vinegar puree and the tamarind.

Tags
indian recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum