Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Sports News Forum

Ponting not play in IPL 2nd season, to focus on national duty

Views: 1964  
Old 02-19-2009, 05:36 PM

Default Ponting not play in IPL 2nd season, to focus on national duty

Australia skipper Ricky Ponting today revealed that he will skip this year's Indian Premier League starting April to concentrate on national commitments. "My country comes first and there was no way I could give my all for Australia if I used the only two-week break we have to go and play in India," Ponting, who is contracted with the IPL team Kolkata Knight Riders, wrote in his column in 'The Australian'.

"I have been talking with my team, the Kolkata Knight Riders for a month or two now and in the end my only choice was to withdraw from the 2009 competition, but I will most certainly be back for 2010 when I hope to be able to make a much greater contribution," he said. Ponting, who is currently in South Africa with the Australian squad for a Test and one-day series, thanked Knight Riders for letting him go this time around.

"The franchise has been fantastic about the whole thing and I want to thank them for their understanding," he wrote. The Australia skipper said he could have played in the IPL for two weeks but said it would have been unfair on both Knight Riders and the national team.

"And then there was the issue of giving up the chance to be with my family for a fortnight. It is always hard to leave Rianna (wife) and I cherish every second I spend with my daughter Emmy.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:06 AM

Soniya Thanks for info.

Keep posting

Latest News in Sports News Forum