Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

July 2020 - OTT Releases Films, TV Shows, Web Series (Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix, Disney Hot Star, Zee5..)

Views: 25701  
Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 PM

'The Old Guard' | Premieres Thursday, July 10, on Netflix

Plot: Led by a warrior named Andy, a covert group of tight-knit immortal mercenaries have fought to protect the mortal world for centuries. But when the team is recruited to take on an emergency mission and their extraordinary abilities are suddenly exposed, theyFriday must eliminate the threat of those who seek to replicate and monetize their power by any means necessary.

Our Take: I really wish The Old Guard had been expanded into a series because I would’ve gladly binged 10 hours of a close-knit team of immortal warriors battling through history. Thankfully the story is based on a 10-episode and counting comic book series, so there could be room for a sequel? Fingers crossed!

Old 06-28-2020, 06:01 PM

'Relic' | Available on VOD Friday, July 10

Plot: A daughter, mother and grandmother are haunted by a manifestation of dementia that consumes their family's home.

Our Take: While the trailer may give some serious Hereditary and Babadook vibes, word on the street is that this feature debut of Japanese Australian writer-director Natalie Erika James is treading her own path, and I'm always down for more diversity in my art-house horror diet.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:02 PM

'Greyhound' | Premieres Friday, July 10, on Apple TV+

Plot: Early in World War II, an inexperienced U.S. Navy captain must lead an Allied convoy being stalked by Nazi U-boat wolfpacks.

Our Take: Tom Hanks has portrayed a pilot, a ship captain, a U.S. Army Ranger captain, and plenty more heroic “men in charge,” and he’s sticking to that script (which he wrote) for this World War II action flick, where he plays Commander Ernest Krause. I find Hanks’ bravery and nobility in times of onscreen crisis quite believable, and can’t resist a unique angle on WWII combat. Those Nazi U-boats that he’s tasked with avoiding look seriously sinister.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:02 PM

"P-Valley" | Premieres Sunday, July 12, on STARZ

Plot: "P-Valley" follows the lives Mercedes and Autumn, strip-club dancers working down in the Dirty Delta, and the mother in charge of the club, Uncle Clifford.

Our Take: The male gaze is bounced from the function in creator and showrunner Katori Hall's adaptation of her own play, and I'm so ready for that perspective to be herstory. Equally prepped for the ascension of series leads Brandee Evans, Elarica Johnson, and Nicco Annan.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:03 PM

"Brave New World" | Premieres Wednesday, July 15, on Pea****

Plot: Based on Aldous Huxley’s groundbreaking novel, "Brave New World" imagines a utopian society that has achieved peace and stability through the prohibition of monogamy, privacy, money, family, and history itself.

Our Take: NBC’s Pea**** streaming service launches on July 15 with a modern take on the 88-year old dystopian sci-fi novel "Brave New World." Alden Ehrenreich, Demi Moore, and Hannah John-Kamen lead the cast of this 9-episode series, and I’m excited to see the results. Sci-fi fans should keep an eye out for Pea**** as it will also be the eventual home of Sam Esmail's upcoming second reboot of "Battlestar Galactica."

Tags
2020, July

Latest News in General Discussion