Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

July 2020 - OTT Releases Films, TV Shows, Web Series (Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix, Disney Hot Star, Zee5..)

Views: 5672  
Old 06-28-2020, 05:58 PM

"JU-ON: Origins" | Premieres Friday, July 3, on Netflix

Plot: The legendary horror franchise is set to once again shake the world as Netflix Japan sets to release its first-ever horror of Netflix Japan Original, "JU-ON: Origins."

Our Take: If I'm being completely honest, I don't know that there's any good reason to revisit a cinematic universe that has spanned over a dozen movies (including multiple remakes by the original director) and multiple shorts. But who am I to hold a grudge? Though there are few details about the upcoming Netflix series, I'm hoping the series returns to the format of loosely connected vignettes, which managed to creep me out like nothing else could, back in 2003.

Old 06-28-2020, 05:59 PM

Sufiyum Sujatayum | Premieres Friday, July 3, on Prime Video

Plot: Sufiyum Sujathayum is a unique love story, that revolves around Rajeev and Sujatha, a married couple who fly to Dubai to attend the last rites of Sujatha's ex-lover, a Sufi priest.

Our Take: Watching the trailer for this movie, I was swept away by music composer M Jayachandran's soulful soundtrack, setting the stage for a love story.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:00 PM

'Mucho Mucho Amor' | Premieres Wednesday, July 8, on Netflix

Plot: A documentary the chronicles the life of Walter Mercado, who was raised in the sugar cane fields of Puerto Rico, and became a gender non-conforming psychic whose televised horoscopes reached 120 million Latinx viewers a day.

Our Take: Walter Mercado brought hope to his fans over a 50-year career, and he connected with millions of people back when he was simply a voice on the radio. Of course there are elements of melodrama and mystery to hook in a wide audience, but the documentary on a whole is described as a loving eulogy to the star who became a constellation in late 2019.

"Expecting Amy" | Premieres Thursday, July 9, on HBO Max

Plot: Pregnancy is different for everyone. Here’s a glimpse into the longest nine months of Amy Schumer's life.

Our Take: Watching a comedian on her pregnancy journey may not sound like typical fodder for a stand-up special, but I’m intrigued by Amy Schumer’s unflinching and funny account of her path to motherhood. She’s been open and honest on social media throughout the process, and I admire her for using her platform to champion women and open up the conversation around pregnancy struggles. As she says in the trailer, “We’re f**king warriors.”

'Palm Springs' | Available Friday, July 10, on Hulu

Plot: When carefree Nyles and reluctant maid of honor Sarah have a chance encounter at a Palm Springs wedding, things get complicated as they are unable to escape the venue, themselves, or each other.

Our Take: Movies and shows centered around time loops have almost become their own genre. To some it may seem like an overused novelty, but I'm not sick of it yet (thank you, "Russian Doll" and Happy Death Day). At a time when every day feels the same for some people, Palm Springs feels perfectly timed

Tags
2020, July

Latest News in General Discussion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: