Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64549  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 AM

Sweet and Salty Homemade Granola Bars

I wanted to make a tasty and healthy snack for my kids lunches this week so I went in search of a good granola bar recipe. I found this one on The Green Nut site that looked delicious. These granola bars were filled with oats, coconut, pistachio nuts, sunflower seeds, dried apricots, and craisins. They were very simple to make and smelled delicious while baking. I love that these bars use up ingredients I have in my pantry and that they aren't filled with a bunch of preservatives. My kids really loved these granola bars and asked me to make more - you can't beat that.

Sweet and Salty Homemade Granola Bars:
Adapted recipe by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe from The Green Nut
  • 1 cup of oats
  • 1/2 cup of sweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup of salted pistachios
  • 2 tbsp of salted sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup of dried apricots, diced
  • 1/4 cup of craisins
  • 2 tbsp ****er
  • 1/3 cup of honey
  • 2 tbsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the oats and coconut on a baking sheet that has been lined with a silpat mat or parchment paper. Place into the oven and bake for 6-7 minutes or until the coconut and oats are toasted golden brown.

Pour the oat/coconut mixture into a bowl and add the pistachios, sunflower seeds, apricots, and craisins.

Place the ****er, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla in a small pan and and bring to a boil. Boil for 30 seconds. Pour the honey mixture over the granola mixture and stir until evenly coated.

Coat a square baking dish with cooking spray then pour the granola mixture into it. Press the mixture firmly into the baking dish using the base of a metal measuring cup.

Place into the oven and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 10 minutes. Carefully slice into bars and let cool for another 10 minutes. Enjoy.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 AM

Cinnamon and Sugar Donut Muffins

My son and I were in the mood to do some baking so we decided to look for a tasty muffin recipe. We found this recipe online at My Adventures in Food that looked easy and super delicious. My kids love anything with cinnamon so I knew they would really love these tasty treats. My son did a great job cracking his first egg and had a fun time mixing all the ingredients together. The house smelled fantastic while these muffins were baking. My daughter was thrilled when she came home from school to this special after school snack. Needless to say, these muffins were a huge hit with both of my kids and they didn't last long.

Cinnamon and Sugar Donut Muffins:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by My Adventures in Food
  • 3/4 cup of sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 1/2 cup of flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
  • 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
  • 3/4 cup of milk
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat a muffin tin with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, beat together the sugar and egg until creamy. In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg. Pour dry mixture into the egg mixture and stir to combine. Add vegetable oil, milk, and vanilla, stirring until just combined.

Divide batter evenly into muffin tin, filling each cup about 2/3 full. Side Note: We like our muffins with a bigger muffin top so we filled our tins nearly to the top and only made 9 muffins. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes clean, about 15-18 minutes. Let cool for 3-5 minutes, then remove muffins from tin. In a small bowl, combine 1 teaspoon of cinnamon and 3 tablespoons of sugar. While the muffins are still warm, roll each one in the mixture, coating all sides with the cinnamon sugar.

Let the cinnamon and sugar coated muffins cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!

Old 04-25-2011, 06:11 AM

Pork Medallions Smothered in a Mushroom and Shallot Gravy

I had a pork tenderloin and some cremini mushrooms in the refrigerator that needed to be cooked so I decided to combine the two to make this dish. I cut the tenderloin into medallions and simply seasoned them with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder then cooked them in a bit of olive oil. I made a gravy in the same pan with a bit of ****er, mushrooms, shallots, and chicken stock. The meat was tender and tasted fantastic in the gravy. This dish was enjoyed by my whole family - my daughter asked for the leftovers for her lunch the following day.

Pork Medallions Smothered in a Mushroom and Shallot Gravy:
Recipe and Photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 pork tenderloin, cut into 1 inch thick medallions
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Garlic powder, to taste
  • 1 tbsp ****er
  • 8 oz of cremini mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 shallot, sliced thinly
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 1 tbsp flour
  • 1 cup of chicken broth

Heat the olive oil in a large s****et over medium high heat. Remove the silver skin from the pork tenderloin, then cut into 1 inch thick medallions. Season both sides of the medallions with sea salt, freshly cracked pepper, and garlic powder, to taste. Place into the hot s****et and cook for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the pork from the s****et and set aside on a plate then cover with a tinfoil tent.

Add the ****er to the same s****et over medium high heat then add the mushrooms. Cook, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes; add the shallots and cook, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes or until tender. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute then add the flour. Stir the flour into the mushroom mixture until evenly coated. Add the chicken broth and stir constantly for 1 minute, making sure to sc**** up the browned bits from the pan. Season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Add the pork medallions and their juices back to the pan and cook over low for 1 minute or until the pork is warmed through. Serve the medallions smothered in the gravy. Enjoy.

Parmesan Roasted Fennel

I recently picked up some fennel at the grocery store and I planned to roast it with some carrots but I found this recipe on the Food Network and decided to give it a try instead. It was very simple to make and tasted fantastic. I loved the tender fennel with the salty Parmesan cheese - they were a perfect combination. My kids didn't love it but my husband and I sure did.

Parmesan Roasted Fennel:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Food Network
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 fennel bulbs, sliced horizontally
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Shaved Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tsp fennel fronds

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a baking dish with olive oil cooking spray.

Slice the fennel then place into a bowl. Drizzle the olive oil onto the fennel slices and season with sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Toss to coat evenly. Place the fennel slices into the baking dish. Sprinkle the shaved Parmesan all over the fennel slices.

Place into the oven and roast for 35-40 minutes or until tender. Serve immediately with the fennel fronds sprinkled on top. Enjoy.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza Braid

I wasn't feeling well and had no desire to cook a meal but alas my family still needed to be fed. I found pizza dough in my refrigerator that needed to be used up so I decided to make another pizza braid. I grabbed the leftover meat from the Simply Roasted Chicken and tossed it with some barbecue sauce. I layered the pizza dough with barbecue sauce, mozzarella cheese, chicken, fresh cilantro, and red onion before braiding it. It was quick and simple to make and the whole family enjoyed it.

Barbecue Chicken Pizza Braid:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • Cornmeal
  • Pizza dough
  • Barbecue Sauce
  • Mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • Roasted chicken, chopped
  • Fresh cilantro, chopped
  • Red onion, sliced thinly

Place the pizza dough onto a floured surface and let it sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Place a silpat mat (or large baking tray) on the counter and coat with cooking spray and sprinkle the top with a bit of cornmeal. Roll (or spread) the dough out on top of the silpat mat into a rectangle. Drizzle a bit of sauce on top of the chicken and mix until evenly coated. Spoon some of the barbecue sauce down the center of the pizza dough, add slices of chopped mozzarella to the sauce followed by the chicken, cilantro, and red onion. Note: Don't use too much sauce or your pizza braid will be a bit soggy.

Cut even slits on both sides of the filling with a pizza cutter. Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling.

Once you have completed the braid carefully place the silpat mat onto a baking sheet.

Place into the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum