Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > General Discussion

July 2020 - OTT Releases Films, TV Shows, Web Series (Amazon Prime Videos, Netflix, Disney Hot Star, Zee5..)

Views: 12814  
Old 06-28-2020, 06:03 PM

"Cursed" | Premieres Friday, July 17, on Netflix

Plot: A teenage sorceress named Nimue encounters a young Arthur on his quest to find a powerful and ancient sword.

Our Take: I love a show with solid source material, and this new Netflix series with Arthurian legend at its base has a broad array of resources to work with. Katherine Langford as Nimue, a young sorceress with magical gifts, is a majorly awesome departure from her breakout role as Hannah Baker in “13 Reasons Why.” Nimue is destined to become the Lady of the Lake, a key figure famous for giving King Arthur the sword Excalibur, and I’m ready to see how her epic journey unfolds.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:04 PM

'The Painted Bird' | Releases Friday, July 17, on VOD

Plot: In an unidentified area of war-torn Eastern Europe, a young boy sets off on a journey to return home. He roams alone in a wild and hostile world in which only local rules, prejudices, and superstitions apply.

Our Take: Right alongside The White Hotel, Jerzy Kozinski's novel was the hardest but more rewarding reading experience of my life. Chunks of me are hesitant to see the scenes of Kozinski's brutality unfurl over a three-hour run time, but the reviewers I admire have said that it's an inescapable experience, even if they hope to never encounter the film again — which could be an awards contender in 2021?

Old 06-28-2020, 06:04 PM

"The Alienist: Angel of Darkness" | Premieres Sunday, July 19, on TNT

Plot: In "The Alienist: Angel of Darkness," Sara has opened her own private detective agency and is leading the charge on a brand-new case. She reunites with Dr. Kreizler, the formidable alienist, and John Moore, now a New York Times reporter, to find Ana Linares, the kidnapped infant daughter of the Spanish Consular.

Our Take: TNT has moved the premiere up by a week and that just means I have less time to wait before I get to jump back into Caleb Carr’s dark and twisty historical drama. If the 4-episode series isn’t enough to satisfy your Sherlockian needs, check out "Ripper Street" on Netflix for 5 seasons of early forensic-science mysteries.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:05 PM

'Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets' | Available on VOD Sunday, July 19

Plot: A look at the final moments of a Las Vegas dive bar called "The Roaring 20s."

Our Take: There's something special about the families that form within bars, and watching a documentary about one "bar family" coming to an end has the potential for unique poignancy. But Bloody Nose, Empty Pockets is a work of fiction; a form-bending film chronicling the final hours in the life of a Las Vegas dive bar. I'm looking forward to sitting in the bar with these characters, real or not.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:06 PM

"Say I Do" | Premieres Wednesday, July 1, on Netflix

Plot: In this reality show, couples overcome obstacles to celebrate their love in surprise dream weddings designed by three experts in less than a week.

Our Take: As one of many, many brides whose wedding plans have been put on hold due to COVID-19 concerns, I am absolutely in need of some positive vibes on that front, no matter how cheesy — and who better to supply them than the creators of “Queer Eye”? I already said yes to the dress, and now plan to watch as the big day comes together seamlessly for some deserving couples, with help from a notable interior designer, fashion designer, and chef. It remains to be seen whether their personalities measure up to those of the Fab Five (give me Jonathan Van Ness 2.0), but I’m willing to take a leap of faith. — Hannah

Tags
2020, July

Latest News in General Discussion

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: