Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

Chinese Chicken Drumsticks Tutorial on Technique (Chinese Recipes)

Views: 5454  
Old 02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
Award Winner

Default Chinese Chicken Drumsticks Tutorial on Technique (Chinese Recipes)

Prep Time: 30 minutes - 1 hour | Cook Time: 30 minutes or less | Serves: 15
Appetizers » Chicken » Chinese

Ingredients:

This is more a cutting tutorial than it is a cooking one (as well as my first), since this is basically just fried chicken. However, these are made using the chicken wing, not the leg, and end up looking like chicken blowpops, with a clean bone sticking out of a clump of tender chicken meat. It takes some getting used to in order to feel out the process, but I made a batch of these recently and recorded it as best I could. You also get your hands pretty slimy, but it's an impresive dish that makes for some fancy hors d'oeuvres or grill food.

All you'll need is a batch of chicken wings and a sharp chef's knife. For the fried ones that I made here, you'll also need:

- Bread Crumbs
- Grated Parmesan
- enough Olive Oil for deep frying
- Milk or a few eggs.

When breading and frying, you'll want to coat the chicken in something before applying the bread crumbs, to help them stick. Some use egg whites. Some use beaten eggs. I use milk to keep it a little lighter. Up to you.

In a chicken wing, there are three sections. The big meaty side with the single humerus bone, the smaller portion with the radius and ulna bones, and the useless little wingtip.

For the first cut, you want to go into the elbow joint, though you actually want to cut into the tip of the humerus bone. You can feel the bump where the tip of the bone is. You also don't want to cut all the way through it.

Old 02-05-2010, 06:16 AM
Award Winner

Step 1:

A little deeper than the above is fine, just don't go all the way through. After that, hold the humerus side straight up and down, take the rest of the wing and pry it open further. There's a little cap on the tip of the bone that you don't want to sever.
Award Winner

Step 2:

The reason you don't want to sever that cap is because the meat is attached to it, rather than the bone itself. Now you want to pull that part down the humerus bone, peeling it off the bone tip. The meat will stay attached to the cap (ligament?) and peel down too. Just get it off the tip for now, so it's a little loose. If any sticks to the bone, just get in there with your fingernail. It should look like this:

Award Winner

Step 3:

Now cut the rest of the wing off, through what remains of the elbow joint, and set it aside.
Award Winner

Step 4:

This part is a little hard to explain (and to photograph, since you need two hands for this). You basically pull the meat down, and inside out, keeping it still attached to the bottem of the bone. You can make a little cut at the top of the meat, where the bone is sticking out, which will help it turn inside out. Just yank it, it takes some effort before you get the gist of what you're doing. It should look like this when you're finished:

Tags
recipe

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum