Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Star Cast/Story/Photos/Videos: Imagine's 'Chandragupta Maurya'

Views: 20842  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 04-19-2011, 05:12 AM

Manish Wadhwa aka Chanakya of Imagine's popular show Chandragupta Maurya in a candid chat with ...

When Imagine decided to create the magic in Indian television with Chandragupta Maurya, the actor to play Chanakya was always in great hunt.

After several auditions and tests, Manish Wadhwa was finally tipped in to play the legendary character, and undoubtedly the magic worked.

The high ratings of the show proved the show to be a success and today we have Manish Wadhwa talking to about his journey in the industry that finally destined him to do the role of Chanakya.

Excerpts...

How has your journey been so far in TV?
I would rather call it a journey in my acting career as acting is my passion and first love and the journey has been really nice. Before I moved into television, I was into theatre and my acting career took off from there.

After your negative role in Mitwa, did you ever expect such a historical role to come to you?
Nothing happens as expected in this industry and we never know what is going to happen with anybody. Even after the look test of Chanakya, I was not really sure of the character as it is a complicated one. Chanakya was neither completely positive nor negative. Whatever he did was keeping in mind his empire and I have never done a character like that. When I was in school I had studied about the character and I used to think about portraying it on screen. Today I can say that I am doing my dream role and I am completely satisfied.

Were you apprehensive in taking up this role?
Not really. Frankly speaking, when the role was finalized I first wondered about shaving my head (laughs). I had two minds whether to do it or not. Normally for films it is fine to use a wig, but on a daily basis, it is a bit difficult. The role is also such that nobody can refuse and hence I finally decided to take it up and shave off my head. And today I have to shave every alternate day.

How do you feel today essaying the epitome character of Chanakya?
I feel wonderful playing the character because this is like a dream come true and I have no words to express my feelings.

The show has got a great beginning and ratings are soaring high. How is the feeling in the camp?
I am happy that viewers like it which gives assurance that we are on the right track. But at the same time there is a responsibility that we have now to keep up the expectations.

How is to work with imagine?
Imagine is a very good channel and they are completely into the show. In fact, every channel has their dedication that is put into each show

What kind of preparations had you to put in for the role?
There are a lot of voice modulations in the character, but I am thankful to my theatre days and experience that I am able to do that well.

Did you have to perform any stunts?
Chanakya is not a warrior; he is intellectually solid and is a political person. He does everything with his mind.

How is it working with the prodigy Rushiraj Pawar?
Rushiraj is more than an actor and he knows how to be with his senior actors. He knows everything and grasps things very easily. He is a very hardworking boy and at times I feel that he was Chandragupta Maurya in his last birth. He is fun to be with and is ready to do what he is told to do.

How is your off-screen rapport with him?
I share a great rapport with him off screen as well and I would say we have a similar relation to what we have on screen. Whenever he feels exhausted or tired, I used to encourage him a lot to buck up and show his strength. And he is always ready for it.

How is it to shoot in Sagar City in Baroda?
It is really hot these days and I feel the climate is drier than in Mumbai. It is like another Film City.

What can we look forward in the track now?
The new track revolves around the new teachers in Maurya's life where he will be trained and set for his Vir Yatra.

Your memorable scene in Chandragupta Maurya till now.
The introduction scene was a tough one to do because we were shooting the scene in water in the month of January. I had to stay in water for nearly four hours and the tough part was, I should not be seen shivering with cold while conveying the dialogues.

Any memorable fan interaction?
Actually I did not get much time for that as I am shooting here in Baroda. But I have been getting mails from my old friends about the performance. They have all been very positive.

What is your message to viewers?
Thank you so much for accepting me as Chanakya and also the show. Even though I shaved off my head, aapne mujhe aapke sar pe bitha diya (smiles). Thank you so much and keep watching the show.
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 04-20-2011, 11:21 AM

Chandragupta Maurya brings fortune for imagine!!!

Imagine's recently launched show, Chandragupta Maurya, gets an immense response.....

Imagine's recently launched historical show Chandragupta Maurya has been getting a great response from critics as well as in its ratings.

As per the latest ratings, Chandragupta Maurya, produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe raked its highest rating of 2 TVR in last Saturday's episode. The average rating for the week came up to 1.6.

We hear that the average rating of Chandragupta Maurya surpassed the reality show on Colors, Guinness World Records - Ab India Todega, which got an averge of 1.2. Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala on Star Plus also had an average of 1.2 last weekend. In the weekend band, it was only Zee TV's Dance ke Superstars which got a higher average rating of 2.

Our source tells us, "Chandragupta Maurya has been the only show which has not been affected by the ongoing IPL matches; the ratings were very consistent even when the World Cup 2011 was at its final leg".

When contacted, Saurabh Tewari, Head of Programming - Fiction, Imagine TV said, " Its extremely motivating and encouraging to see this kind of positive response from the audience. Chandragupta Maurya was always our dream project and an experimental subject on paper, more so because it was from a male perspective and has nothing which would cater to regular female audience of television. But then we were very sure that if done well, it will be enjoyed by entire family and that's what we managed to achieve. Its the only show which is least effected by Cricket fever be it world cup or IPL."

Nilanjana Purkayasstha, Producer and Creative Director of the show said, "Saurabh Tewari had complete faith in this show from day one. We have followed only our gut while making this show. And Sagar Arts team, the writers, directors, cast, music directors, stylists... everyone has put in more than their best. It has been a labour of love for everyone at Imagine, Sagar Arts and 72 Degree Northe... and the rating once again prove that anything made with conviction, the audience appreciate. A big thank you to the audience for getting us here."

A source from the sets says, "The coming episodes of Chandragupta Maurya will focus on the manner in which Maurya (Rushiraj Pawar) gets saved when he falls off the cliff. The episodes will get more adventurous wherein Chanakya(Manish Wadhwa) will take Maurya out of Taxila to gain knowledge from few renowned teachers."

"Kamal Mallik, Akshay Verma, Bhupinder Singh, Tabrez Khan will be the new teachers entering in Chandragupta Maurya's life", adds the source.

We hope this well-made show reaps much more reward in the coming time!
Old 05-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Ali Hassan to play a Shikaari in Imagine's Chandragupta Maurya...

The Veer Yatra in Imagine's historical show Chandragupta Maurya, produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe will be one fascinating watch for viewers, as the test will put Maurya (Rushiraj Pawar) thro' lot many hurdles.

Ali Hassan, the noted actor has been roped in for a special cameo role, and he will enter as one such hurdle in the Veer Yatra of Maurya.

A little birdie tells us, "Ali Hassan will be one of threats in the Veer Yatra. He is basically a dangerous criminal who can do anything for money".

When contacted, Ali Hassan confirmed the news and said, "Yes, I play an arrogant and rude Shikaari in Chandragputa Maurya. I do not know much as I have not started shoot yet".

But before the Veer Yatra begins, Maurya will have to face Ambek Kumar in the battle.

Let's look forward to the grueling Veer Yatra of Chandragupta..
Old 05-27-2011, 10:22 PM

As per the latest buzz, Ashish Sharma is very close to bagging the role of Chandragupta Maurya post leap..

Chandragupta Maurya, the weekend historical show on Imagine TV is going from strength to strength when it comes to its ratings. The show produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe is the Number 1 show on the channel with an average rating of 1.7.

The latest buzz is that the channel and production house are planning a generation leap soon to take the story of Maurya forward.

And we hear that Ashish Sharma, who portrayed the stern and tough protagonist Bhaiyyaji in Gunahon Ka Devta stands a high chance of bagging the role of the grownup Maurya.

A source from the industry tells us, "Talks are presently on with Ashish Sharma and he was the first choice to play the pivotal role. If things fall in place, the channel expects to take the leap in the end of June or early July".

We tried our level best to get in touch with Ashish Sharma, but could not reach him.

We could not get in touch with Saurabh Tewari, Head of Programming – Fiction, Imagine TV, as well as Producer and Creative Director, Nilanjana Purkayasstha for a confirmation.

Let's wait to see if Bhaiyyaji does get to play the role of Chandragupta Maurya in his second innings on Imagine..

Tags
chandragupta maurya, ndtv imagine

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->