Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Television & Digital OTT Forums
TV Stars Hindi Telugu Tamil Kannada Bengali Marathi Malayalam

Star Cast/Story/Photos/Videos: Imagine's 'Chandragupta Maurya'

Views: 20844  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 01-13-2011, 04:47 PM

Default Star Cast/Story/Photos/Videos: Imagine's 'Chandragupta Maurya'

Talented actors Tej Sapru, Manish Wadhwa and Sooraj Thapar will play pivotal roles in Imagine's upcoming historical show...

Chandragupta Maurya - Show Concept

Chandragupta Maurya is a tale of exemplary courage, valor & magnificence of a young man who was destined to a life of servitude until he came into contact with Chanakya, the scion of wisdom. Under his guidance, Chandragupta rose from being a mere commoner to one of the greatest kings of ancient India. Chanakya's motivation and encouragement helped Chandragupta become a master strategist, a diplomatic ruler as well as a sensitive & intuitive human being.

Under his rule flourished the great Mauryan Empire which extended from Bengal and Assam in the east, to Afghanistan and Baluchistan in the west, Kashmir and Nepal in the north, and Deccan Plateau in the south.

Co-produced between Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe, Chandragupta Maurya features some of television's popular stars such as Suraj Thapar, Manish Wadhwa and young Rushiraj Pawar making his debut in television as Chandragupt Maurya with this show.

Real Names of Actors

• ChandraGupta Maurya - Rushiraj Pawar
  • Chanakya - Manish WadhwaDhanananda - Sooraj Thapar
  • Amatya Rakshas - Tej Sapru
  • Moori (CGM's Mom) - Deepti
  • Brahmabhatt - Rajeev Bhardwaj
TellyBuzz had exclusively reported about Sagar Arts and Nilanjana Purkayasstha's newly formed production house, '72 Degrees Northe' coming up with a historical show on Imagine. The show which was earlier titled 'Maurya' has been rechristened to be 'Chandragupta Maurya'. As we reported earlier, it will focus on the formation of the Maurya Dynasty and the invasion of Alexander.

It is slated to launch on Imagine sometime in March. The shoot for the show has commenced at the extensive Sagar Film City in Baroda.

Some big names have been roped in to play pivotal roles.

Our source states, "Tej Sapru who is presently seen in Sahara One's Kesariya Balam Aavo Hamare Des will play an important role. So will Sooraj Thapar of Sasural Genda Phool fame and Manish Wadhwa of Mitwa fame".

We hear that Tej Sapru will play the role of Amartya Rakshas who is an integral part in Dhananand's army. The role of the warrior Dhananand will be essayed by Sooraj Thapar. Manish Wadhwa who played the villain in Mitwaa will essay the very important role of Chanakya.

Manish Wadhwa who has already started shooting for the show confirmed his presence in the show.

Tej Sapru said, "Yes, I am playing the role of Amartya. I will be starting shoot very soon".

Sooraj Thapar who essays the main negative force of Dhananand said, "It is a very challenging role, and I play the main negative role in Chandragupta Maurya".

Shoot with the younger version of Maurya is presently on, and the casting for the grown-up Maurya has not taken place yet.

We tried calling Moti Sagar of Sagar Arts, and also Nilanjana Purkayasstha, but they remained unavailable.

TV Stars Hindi Shows Telugu Shows Tamil Shows Kannada Shows Bengali Shows Marathi Shows Malayalam Shows
Old 04-19-2011, 05:06 AM

Manish Wadhwa to recreate the Chanakya magic..

After going thro' a strenuous audition process, the channel and production house zeroed in on Manish Wadhwa to play the epic character..

Chandragupt Maurya, the period drama based on the life and achievements of one of the greatest and most successful rulers of ancient India launches on Imagine on 11th March, every Friday and Saturday at 9 PM.

The show produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe has Manish Wadhwa essaying the central character of Chanakya. However, not many know that the channel and production house had a tough task casting the actor to play Chanakya.

With the actor cum writer cum director Chandraprakash Dwivedi setting an apt example by living the role of Chanakya in the DD National epic that has till date been hailed as a milestone on Indian television, the channel had its task cut out.

A little birdie tells us, "Imagine and the production house were looking to recreate the magic of the epic character, and had auditioned nearly 70-75 actors for the role. Manoj Joshi the veteran actor who has been living the role of Chanakya in his play for many years now, happened to be one of the strong choices. However, at the end of it, the makers decided to take in Manish Wadhwa for the role, and the biggest plus got by casting him is that he happens to be a less exposed actor when compared to Manoj Joshi".

When we contacted Manish Wadhwa to get his take on playing Chanakya, he said "I simply do not have words to express my gratitude to the channel and makers of the show. Yes, it is true that more than 70 odd people were auditioned before the prized role fell into my kitty. Chanakya is one of the epic characters that anyone would love to play. I am giving my 100% to the role, and I hope viewers appreciate the efforts put in".

Going by the classy promos of Chandragupt Maurya that are already on air, we can only say that Imagine seems to have an ace up its sleeve this time..
Old 04-19-2011, 05:08 AM

Rushiraj Pawar aka Chandragupta Maurya in conversation

Rushiraj Pawar aka Chandragupta Maurya in conversation with about his new show on Imagine...

He is only thirteen, but is known to all as the elegant and tough to-be king of an empire.

Rushiraj Pawar, popularly known as Chandragupta Maurya, is the latest addition to list of child actors in the television industry.

This boy who is now in Imagine's new mythic show opens up his heart in a candid chat with ...

The boy speaks...

How do you feel portraying a historic figure like Chandragupta Maurya?
I am really happy that I am portraying a high level role and I know I have to cope up with it. I was really nervous in the beginning as I had no idea whether I will be able to portray such a prominent character. I consider myself lucky to get the role because there are a lot of strugglers in the industry who are really talented than me trying to make a mark.

What were the preparations you did for the character?
Actually I had to learn the way Maurya talk and the body language he carries. Also, there are a lot of Sanskrit words used in the speech; I had to work a little on that. Frankly speaking, that helped me in my studies as well.

You are playing the central character, were you nervous taking the whole responsibility of the show?
Actually the role is very challenging and I never thought that I could make it. I was indeed very nervous because I am working under a big banner which has made shows like Dharam Veer, Pritviraj Chauhan etc, that too in the lead role. Also I am doing a show for a channel like Imagine. In all manner I am trying to give my hundred percent to the work.

How much are you involved in the stunts of Maurya? Did you do all by yourself or have you taken body double?
Though I perform all the sword fights all by myself, I used to have a body double for the stunts which require high jumps off the cliff and such.

Did you do a background study of the character?
Not really. But for the auditions, I was told about how Chandragupta Maurya was and how he was as a student. I was also narrated the character Chanakya and how powerful a person he was.

What was the most difficult scene that you performed?
There was a scene where I have been chased by dogs. The scene was really difficult because the dogs were as huge as me and I had to run from them.

The show has been doing well in spite of being in the cricket season, how do you feel?
I would like to thank everyone for making the show a successful one. But also I would like to say that there is more to present and show to the people. We will put more of our efforts to make you entertain more.

Who is your best friend on the sets?
All are my good friends and I am really close to Chanakya (Manish Wadhwa) also.

Can you tell us something about yourself and your parents?
I am from Mumbai and I am thirteen years old. My dad is a professional photographer and mom is a house wife.

Were your parents reluctant of you getting into acting?
Not at all. In fact, they were really supportive and they are looking after me during my shoot. I am really obliged to them and I consider myself lucky because there are a lot of people who have talent but their parents do not allow.

Did you always wanted to become an actor?
Yeah

Were you into acting before you got Chandragupta Maurya?
I used to participate in school skits and plays and I received first place for Mono Act in Mumbai.

What are your other interests?
I like playing Basket Ball, Cricket etc.

Kids, when gain popularity, have the tendency to fly high, what is your policy to stay grounded?
I am very simple and do not throw attitude at all. You can ask the production people. And I know that the character Chanakya is more important than me in the show

What do you aspire to become?
I always wanted to become an actor. At the same time I have no aspirations to become a superstar, but a good actor.

How do you manage work with studies?
I used to manage it well with time and the school authorities support me a lot in this. Now I have a vacation and hence it is not an issue at present.
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM

After going thro' a strenuous audition process, the channel and production house zeroed in on Manish Wadhwa to play the epic character..

Chandragupt Maurya, the period drama based on the life and achievements of one of the greatest and most successful rulers of ancient India launches on Imagine on 11th March, every Friday and Saturday at 9 PM.

The show produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe has Manish Wadhwa essaying the central character of Chanakya. However, not many know that the channel and production house had a tough task casting the actor to play Chanakya.

With the actor cum writer cum director Chandraprakash Dwivedi setting an apt example by living the role of Chanakya in the DD National epic that has till date been hailed as a milestone on Indian television, the channel had its task cut out.

A little birdie tells us, "Imagine and the production house were looking to recreate the magic of the epic character, and had auditioned nearly 70-75 actors for the role. Manoj Joshi the veteran actor who has been living the role of Chanakya in his play for many years now, happened to be one of the strong choices. However, at the end of it, the makers decided to take in Manish Wadhwa for the role, and the biggest plus got by casting him is that he happens to be a less exposed actor when compared to Manoj Joshi".

When we contacted Manish Wadhwa to get his take on playing Chanakya, he said "I simply do not have words to express my gratitude to the channel and makers of the show. Yes, it is true that more than 70 odd people were auditioned before the prized role fell into my kitty. Chanakya is one of the epic characters that anyone would love to play. I am giving my 100% to the role, and I hope viewers appreciate the efforts put in".

Going by the classy promos of Chandragupt Maurya that are already on air, we can only say that Imagine seems to have an ace up its sleeve this time..
Old 04-19-2011, 05:09 AM

Default Chandragupta Maurya brings fortune for imagine!!!

Chandragupta Maurya brings fortune for imagine!!!

Imagine's recently launched show, Chandragupta Maurya, gets an immense response.....

Imagine's recently launched historical show Chandragupta Maurya has been getting a great response from critics as well as in its ratings.

As per the latest ratings, Chandragupta Maurya, produced by Sagar Arts and 72 Degrees Northe raked its highest rating of 2 TVR in last Saturday's episode. The average rating for the week came up to 1.6.

We hear that the average rating of Chandragupta Maurya surpassed the reality show on Colors, Guinness World Records - Ab India Todega, which got an averge of 1.2. Comedy Ka Maha Muqabala on Star Plus also had an average of 1.2 last weekend. In the weekend band, it was only Zee TV's Dance ke Superstars which got a higher average rating of 2.

Our source tells us, "Chandragupta Maurya has been the only show which has not been affected by the ongoing IPL matches; the ratings were very consistent even when the World Cup 2011 was at its final leg".

When contacted, Saurabh Tewari, Head of Programming - Fiction, Imagine TV said, " Its extremely motivating and encouraging to see this kind of positive response from the audience. Chandragupta Maurya was always our dream project and an experimental subject on paper, more so because it was from a male perspective and has nothing which would cater to regular female audience of television. But then we were very sure that if done well, it will be enjoyed by entire family and that's what we managed to achieve. Its the only show which is least effected by Cricket fever be it world cup or IPL."

Nilanjana Purkayasstha, Producer and Creative Director of the show said, "Saurabh Tewari had complete faith in this show from day one. We have followed only our gut while making this show. And Sagar Arts team, the writers, directors, cast, music directors, stylists... everyone has put in more than their best. It has been a labour of love for everyone at Imagine, Sagar Arts and 72 Degree Northe... and the rating once again prove that anything made with conviction, the audience appreciate. A big thank you to the audience for getting us here."

A source from the sets says, "The coming episodes of Chandragupta Maurya will focus on the manner in which Maurya (Rushiraj Pawar) gets saved when he falls off the cliff. The episodes will get more adventurous wherein Chanakya(Manish Wadhwa) will take Maurya out of Taxila to gain knowledge from few renowned teachers."

"Kamal Mallik, Akshay Verma, Bhupinder Singh, Tabrez Khan will be the new teachers entering in Chandragupta Maurya's life", adds the source.

We hope this well-made show reaps much more reward in the coming time!

Tags
chandragupta maurya, ndtv imagine

Latest News in Television & Digital OTT Forums

-->