Go Back   Wiki NewForum | Latest Entertainment News > Health and Food Forum

TOP 1000 Recipes (Photos+Full Details)

Views: 64990  
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 103 votes, 4.99 average.
Old 05-01-2011, 08:15 AM

Southwestern Casserole

I saw this Cooking Light recipe on Myrecipes and decided to make it for dinner. I adapted it a bit by adding more spices, more green chiles, cilantro, and avocado. This recipe was simple to make with very little clean up. It was delicious, hearty, and filling without all the guilt - I love that. If I wasn't cooking for my kids, I would add some jalapeño to the meat mixture for a bit of a kick. The leftovers were wrapped in a flour tortilla for my husband's lunch the following day.

Southwestern Casserole:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
Original recipe by Myrecipes ~ Cooking Light 2002
  • 2 7 oz can of whole green chiles, drained
  • 1 tsp olive oil
  • 1 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 1/2 tsp coriander
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • 2 cloves of garlic, minced
  • 3 tbsp of fresh cilantro, chopped (plus more for garnish)
  • 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups frozen corn, thawed
  • 1 14 oz can of refried beans
  • 1 1/2 cups of sharp cheddar, shredded
  • 2 tomatoes, diced
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • Sour cream (optional)
  • Hot sauce (optional)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the whole green chilies in a single layer on the bottom of the baking dish. You can also use 1 can of green chiles and cut them in half lengthwise if you don't want a strong green chile flavor.

Heat the olive oil in a large s****et over medium heat. Add the diced onion, ground turkey, and seasonings. Cook for 5-6 minutes, stirring often to break up the meat into crumbles. Add the minced garlic and diced tomatoes. Cook for an additional 2-3 minutes.

Pour the meat mixture on top of the green chiles; next add the corn. Carefully spread the refried beans on top of the corn followed by the cheese.

Place into the oven and bake for 30 minutes. Let the casserole rest for 5 minutes then top with diced tomato, avocado, green onion, and cilantro. Serve with sour cream and hot sauce if desired. Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Potato Tian with Caramelized Onions and Parmesan AND the Giveaway Winner

I was recently sent some wonderful little potatoes from Tasteful Selections to try. Since I am originally from Idaho, it only makes sense that I love, love, love potatoes! I received two bags, one of a mixture of yellow, red, and purple baby potatoes and one bag of purple passion potatoes. I was especially excited to try the purple potatoes because I have never tried them before. I decided to make a potato tian so I could use all three potatoes at once. I added caramelized onions and Parmesan to the tian for extra flavor then right before they were fished cooking I topped it with some Italian seasoned panko crumbs. The dish turned out really beautiful and delicious. We all loved this recipe and gobbled up every last bite.

Potato Tian with Caramelized Onions and Parmesan:
Recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking.net
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1 sweet yellow onion, sliced
  • 5-6 baby red potatoes, sliced thin
  • 5-6 baby yellow potatoes, sliced thin
  • 5-6 baby purple potatoes, sliced thin
  • Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
  • Dash of thyme
  • 1/4 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
  • Parmesan cheese, shredded
  • Italian seasoned panko crumbs
  • Fresh parsley, chopped

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Coat a round baking dish with cooking spray.

Heat the olive oil in a s****et over medium heat; add the onions and sauté for 3-4 minutes or until soft and tender. Season with a dash of thyme and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Pour the onions into the round baking dish.

Slice the potatoes then layer alternatively in the baking dish on top of the onions, fitting them into a tight spiral, making only one layer. Pour the chicken broth on top then drizzle with a bit of olive oil. Season the potatoes with a dash of thyme and sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste. Top the tian with a bit of shredded Parmesan cheese.

Cover with tin foil and bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove the foil and sprinkle a bit of Italian seasoned panko crumbs on top and bake for another 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven, sprinkle with chopped parsley then serve immediately. Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:16 AM

Flavorful Flank Steak

I got this Alton Brown marinade from the Food Network website. It was so quick and easy to make and the marinade was SO FLAVORFUL! I really, really loved the flavor this marinade gave to the flank steak. I marinated it for 24 hours and it was perfect. You just can't beat quick, simple, and delicious recipes like this. I served this steak with my Southwestern Salad and Roasted Tomatoes with Cotija and Cilantro.

Flavorful Flank Steak:
Adapted recipe and photos by For the Love of Cooking
Original recipe by Alton Brown ~ Food Network
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 tbsp + 2 tsp soy sauce
  • 2 green onions, diced
  • 1 clove of garlic, minced
  • 2 tbsp lime juice
  • 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1 1/2 tbsp brown sugar
  • Flank Steak

Combine the first 8 ingredients together in a large zip lock bag and mix really well. Add the flank steak, seal, then refrigerate for 24 hours.

Remove the flank steak from the refrigerator 20 minutes prior to cooking. Heat the grill pan on medium high heat and coat with olive oil cooking spray. Cook the flank steak for 3-4 minutes per side or until it's cooked to your desired degree of doneness. Let the meat rest for 5 minutes before slicing in thin slices against the grain. Enjoy.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Double Chocolate Almond Cookies AND a Giveaway

**Giveaway has ended**

There are many perks to being a food blogger and one of them is getting to try wonderful products and cookbooks. I was recently contacted by Tate's Bake Shop to host a giveaway on my site. I received some wonderful cookies that were ****ery, crisp, and so delicious as well as a great cookbook filled with bread, muffin, cookie, and cake recipes. We all enjoyed the cookies and I really enjoyed the beautiful cookbook. It's filled with excellent recipes that I am so excited to try. The first recipe to catch my eye was this cookie recipe. They were a HUGE hit with my husband and children. They are extremely rich and decadent - perfect for my chocolate loving family.

Double Chocolate Almond Cookies:
Original recipe from Tate's Bake Shop Cookbook by Kathleen King
  • 2 1/3 cup of all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup Dutch-processed cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 1/4 cups ****er, softened
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips
  • 1 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
  • 1 cup almonds, chopped

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl.

In a large bowl, beat the ****er and sugars together with an electric mixer until creamy. Add the egg and vanilla then mix well. Add the flour mixture and mix until it's just combined. Add the chocolate chips and almonds. Mix them until they are combined.

Spoon cookie dough onto the baking sheets 2 inches apart. Bake them for 15 minutes then remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes to allow the cookies to set. Enjoy!

Old 05-01-2011, 08:17 AM

Flaky ****ermilk Biscuits

I wanted to make some biscuits to go with the White Bean, Chorizo, and Kale Soup I made for dinner recently. I found this Cooking Light recipe on Myrecipes and decided to give them a try. I was surprised at how easy they were to make and how utterly delicious they were. We gobbled up every last one of them with our soup and they were a big hit with all of us. This is another recipe I will be making again and again.

Flaky ****ermilk Biscuits:
Original recipe by Myrecipes and Cooking Light ~ 2008
  • 2 1/4 cups of flour
  • 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 5 tbsp ****er
  • 3/4 cup of low fat ****ermilk
  • 3 tbsp honey

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with a silpat mat.

Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a bowl. Cut in the ****er with a pastry blender or two knives until the mixture resembles course meal. Place into the refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill. In a smaller bowl, combine the ****ermilk and honey and whisk until well blended. Add the ****ermilk mixture to the flour mixture and stir until mixed.

Place the dough on a well floured surface and knead 4-5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a 9 x 5 inch rectangle. Dust the top with flour then fold the dough crosswise into thirds (like folding a letter to fit into an envelope). Re-roll the dough into a 9 x 5 rectangle, dust the top with flour, and fold the dough crosswise into thirds again. Gently roll or pat the dough into a 3/4 inch thickness and cut with biscuit cutter to form biscuits. Place dough rounds 1 inch apart on the baking sheet.

Bake for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Cool two minutes on a wire rack then serve slathered with ****er. Enjoy.

Tags
food, photos, recipes, top 1000

Latest Health Tips in Health and Food Forum